Best way to transport

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
What’s the best way to transport your rabbits home after purchase?
Like a dog carrier, wire cage, cardboard box with holes? LOL

You can get Travel Cages and they're kinda small but they can hold the rabbit, a food bowl, and a water bottle

I'm sure a carrier could work too16472095486497103985897501357296.jpg

Attachments

• 16472095837314316294003142303391.jpg
    16472095837314316294003142303391.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 2
depends on a number of factors. How far you have to travel, how long the rabbit will be in the carrier, weather/temperature, etc.

If just driving home for a couple of hours on a not hot day, or in an air-conditioned car, a cardboard box will work. anything longer than that you'll probably want at least a cat carrier with a towel, shavings or hay in the bottom.

you want something that is just a bit bigger than the rabbit to prevent damage to the rabbit in case of an accident.

I use cardboard boxes for transporting mine (I have done 6 hours with 8wk kits). Depending on the rabbit and how long the trip is going to be, I might be concerned about them chewing through the box. I usually put a towel or straw in the box to keep them occupied, like @ladysown suggested.

We use airline kennels, but we have those since we ship rabbits to other islands. Folks have also carried them off in cardboard boxes, once a 5 gallon bucket, another time tucked into a motorcycle jacket. Those weren't going on an aircraft, though. Another time the bunny just sat on a passenger's lap, although that could be dangerous if the bunny escaped and got under the accelerator.

Thanks everyone for the input!
The distance will only be about 45 mins to an hour. We would put them inside the vehicle, so they’re not in the wind or precipitation. The weather here is still trying to make up it’s mind whether it’s winter or spring. LOL They will be about 4-6 month old, NZ/Cali cross, since I’m a newbie, how big of a box would I need?

We use these boxes that we found in our barn with a good bed of straw. According to the old French guy that sold us the rabbits they like to be snug in there, rather than bouncing around. That could be nonsense but he insisted that the litter mate does travelled in one together for a 90 minute ride.

My wife thinks we looked like a pair of Hobo's when we used them for the vet visit :ROFLMAO:

They're about 18" x 12" x 12"

IMG_20210820_194446544_HDR.jpg

We use these boxes that we found in our barn with a good bed of straw. According to the old French guy that sold us the rabbits they like to be snug in there, rather than bouncing around. That could be nonsense but he insisted that the litter mate does travelled in one together for a 90 minute ride.

My wife thinks we looked like a pair of Hobo's when we used them for the vet visit :ROFLMAO:

They're about 18" x 12" x 12"

View attachment 29221
Orange boxes! Not seen those for years.

We've got a very nice wooden single pony cart, a hand plough with harness and a hand cranked machine that separates wheat from chaff to go with them. When you buy an old place here you get a barn/house full of "antiques" with it.

Thanks everyone for the input!
The distance will only be about 45 mins to an hour. We would put them inside the vehicle, so they’re not in the wind or precipitation. The weather here is still trying to make up it’s mind whether it’s winter or spring. LOL They will be about 4-6 month old, NZ/Cali cross, since I’m a newbie, how big of a box would I need?

Small or extra small Home Depot boxes would work for individual rabbits, depending on their weights.

Back