Doe and Buck Kits together till 10-12 weeks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianRabbit

Reaction score
I have a small litter of 5 NZW's. Can I keep them all in the same cage till 10-12 weeks or should I still separate the males/females. I know maturity starts to happen after 3 months so I may be pushing it.

Whats the most kits you can have in a 36x24 cage till 10-12 weeks that is still comfortable for them?

THANKS!

I'm curious if this myself. I'm looking to buy a 4month old NZ male. Is that old enought to breed?

CR, Some people have had oops litters from 9-10 week does in the grow out cages, it all depends on the lines your rabbits come from.

mr.jake, again, it depends on the lines but most bucks aren't ready at 16 weeks, even if their junk has dropped. Most bucks are more likely to be ready at least a month after that, more likely two or three months.

I got a 6 mos old pair of Rex in the cage, nothings happened so far. I tend to keep my litters together longer, they mature slower. I can't get my does to breed before 7-8 mos. Like 3mina said, it depends on your lines.

These buns have huge litters, they are in 30X30, so after they get about 2-3 lbs a piece, they are divided (by quality) and go out into grow out pen.

Wow, I hadn't heard of 9 - 10 week old does getting pregnant! :shock:

Mine are together until 14 weeks or so, when we butcher (slow growing rabbits). I have had two bully rabbits by that age, but the only bred young doe I had was from a litter that went 22 weeks -- our first, and we moved in the middle of their growout, didn't have a chance to butcher, and didn't have a way to separate (move was unexpected).

I have had litters together for 16 to 20 weeks if I cant manage the time to butcher. Keep an eye out for fur though! When the bucks start getting old enough to fight there will be a tuft or three of loose fur to start off. It lets you know that carnage is about to happen. :roll:

Have started butchering at 8 weeks though, regardless of size and setting aside two or three to grow on for roasting size. My mum likes roasters better than fryers but we like the fryers so this way the extra feed that use to go to the kits to get them to 12 weeks now goes to fatten the older ones. It doesn't cost any extra and we all get what we like.

I have tried to keep litters together past 10 weeks but they usually start fighting about that time. Maybe it is just my line of Cals.

I separate bucks and does at 6 to 8 weeks. Then either separate or harvest the bucks at 10 to 12 weeks. Frequently, the bucks start fighting by then. I did have one instance where two young does went at it and I had to put them in separate pens, otherwise the does stay together just fine.

Having said that, if the plans call for harvesting the entire litter, then I don't worry about who's with who. I just keep them about 4 or 5 per pen until harvest time.

I don't start using a buck until he's at least 6 months old.

I have 3 littermates I haven't gotten around to processing and they are around 18 weeks, one doe and 2 bucks with descended testicles. They have been fine, but I finally separated the doe this week just in case. The bucks are still together and not fighting. I'll probably hold onto the doe a couple of weeks go make sure, but I haven't seen even a hint of friskiness.

I keep my 9 kits together. My first litter of NZW's I butchered at 11 weeks and I planned on doing the same with my current litter. I came home today (at 10 weeks and 2 days old) and found fur all over cage. 3 rabbits are injured. One is missing part of it's ear, one has blood on it's back and another has a really messed up eye. I wasn't going to butcher until Monday. Plans have just changed. Meat is hitting freezer tonight. I wish I knew who the trouble maker was, I would just take care of him or her.

The only time I actually saw them fight, they were 10 weeks old, there was 4 in the cage and didn't see which one started it but all 4 were involved in the free for all. They were all does, I had already pulled the bucks out a week earlier because I had seen a little bit of fur in the cage.

Back