Marble slabs vs frozen bottles

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Are marble slabs really that much better than frozen water bottles? Marble is pretty expensive where I am so want to know if there's really that much of a difference before I buy each bunny a $12 tile.

My beverens love their marble tiles, they stay cooler than the air temperature. I also use frozen bottles or make ice cube blocks for them to lay on.

Last summer I was freezing the tiles but haven't bothered this year. Even the 100F plus hasn't heat stressed the rabbits. They lay on the tile and seem fairly comfortable, no fast breathing, not hot ears.

Neat! Thats good to know. I'll have to see if I can find some. Does it have to be marble? Can it be another flat stone like slate?

If it's cheaper... brick would do too. Anything ceramic. We have extra brick laying around that I'm going to use when/if it gets near or over 100. I also have looked at a local Home Restore for really cheap tile.
I'm not sure about stone- I don't have any experience with using stone.

I have just been using 12x12 leftover tile from our bathroom project. Goes in the freezer when I have room...the buns love em!

LauraNJ":1ni3oix9 said:
My beverens love their marble tiles, they stay cooler than the air temperature. I also use frozen bottles or make ice cube blocks for them to lay on.

Last summer I was freezing the tiles but haven't bothered this year. Even the 100F plus hasn't heat stressed the rabbits. They lay on the tile and seem fairly comfortable, no fast breathing, not hot ears.
That was just what I wanted to hear, if marble tiles work in 100 degree temps then I think it will work for my needs- Temps here rarely get higher than 85 during the day and it drops down to 60 at night even in the hottest weather. (But my jersey woolies start looking miserable when temps go over 78, even when my other rabbits looked fine). So I'll get my buns some marble.

__________ Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 am __________

Also, from what I've been looking up on the net-- marble is better than other stones for holding the cold - that's why they use it for making specialty icecream instead of granite or ceramic- something about it the molecules being more dense than the other stones keeps it cool.

Yes, marble has a high specific conductance which is why it feels cool to the touch. Technically, when you walk on marble or touch it, it is pulling the heat from your hand or foot and it dissipates that heat.

Other things like brick would help but the specific conductance is not as high so it won't stay as cool as long.

Other stones do that, too. There's got to be a cheaper alternative that works nearly the same...
Under 90, I would hope all rabbits aren't in need of any assistance, if so, I'd toss em out right away from the gene pool.

ChickiesnBunnies":25lsh3y1 said:
Other stones do that, too. There's got to be a cheaper alternative that works nearly the same...
Under 90, I would hope all rabbits aren't in need of any assistance, if so, I'd toss em out right away from the gene pool.

This year even at 95 they are doing good. Last year when it hit 80s, the beverens were hot.

That was my point in the other thread about your newer rabbits having issues. I think while they are adjusting they are much more heat suseptible. They may not looked stressed but they are. If at that point they are hit with high temps it is just too much.

If the cold dirt and grass can't keep them cool, I don't see how a rock/tile could.

ChickiesnBunnies":1sq10zo0 said:
I am guessing you have never tried angoras?

No, but the lionheads are double maned and they don't notice the heat at all.
I was talking about general rabbits, not specialty ones that are even further away from natural rabbits and their fur.

ChickiesnBunnies":36i30q0e said:
If the cold dirt and grass can't keep them cool, I don't see how a rock/tile could.

Not just rock or tile-- Marble-

Marble has high thermal mass and "thermal conductivity" which means it sucks the heat out of what ever touches it- and it seems to do it better than all other materials because the molecules are so dense and close together. So, if your bunnies belly is spread across a slab of marble the marble is going to extract the heat out of the bunny and into the stone.

(Just lifted this from a physics website)
The principle that makes marble cold is "Thermal Conductivity"
Thermal conductivity is the quantity of heat transmitted through a unit thickness in a direction normal to a surface of unit area, due to a unit temperature gradient under steady state conditions.
Numbers below indicate "thermal conductivity of Marble is higher than other materials"
Marble 2.08 - 2.94
Granite 1.7 - 4.0
Concrete, medium 0.4 - 0.7
Brickwork, common 0.6 -1.0
Soil, with organic matter 0.15 - 2
Wood, oak 0.17
Cotton Wool insulation 0.029<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 pm __________<br /><br />
ChickiesnBunnies":36i30q0e said:

I think the whole gene pool of Jersey Wooly rabbits in New Zealand would also have the same problem with the heat if mine do- so if I tossed them there would be nothing to replace them with. Its a small country and the only place you can import rabbits from is Australia and it costs- $2000 dollars to get them here.

Has anyone tried cultured marble? Cultured marble can be found at Lowes in the tile section. As for Marble slabs, if you know of a local company that makes granite countertops you may be able to pick up some scrap pieces for next to nothing.

Yes, the ones at lowes work great.

A marble slab would be way too heavy in most cages and would bend the wire. Marble tiles are marble, just thinner pieces than a slab.

HoppyMeal":1h2hsmyh said:
if you know of a local company that makes granite countertops you may be able to pick up some scrap pieces for next to nothing.

Just had a vision of a hutch with a solid granite floor! Oh, wouldn't my bunnies be singin' happy in the summers with that! Not sure of the consequences in winter but summers would sure be more comfortable!

Frecs":2umkhwpr said:
Just had a vision of a hutch with a solid granite floor! Oh, wouldn't my bunnies be singin' happy in the summers with that! Not sure of the consequences in winter but summers would sure be more comfortable!

:lol: The mental image this created for me was priceliess!

Anyways, I can vouch for the marble tiles from Lowes. That's what we've always used for any of our outdoor critters growing up. Even used them in rat cages forever ago when we didn't have AC.

Latest posts

Back